Wednesday, July 16, 2025

Kensington Palace to Buckingham Palace

 

Buckingham Palace

This morning we took the underground to Kensington Palace. We took the audio tour and learned about the palace and about Queen Victoria’s life before becoming the queen.
Kensington Palace

Some of Princess Diana’s dresses

Ann trying on a Victorian Styled dress

We had lunch at the palace cafe and then enjoyed a walk in the gardens.  I especially enjoyed the Sunken Garden. https://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-palace/whats-on/the-sunken-garden/ 
Sunken Garden




Princess Diana statue in the Sunken Garden


We
 walked through the whole length of the Kensington gardens and then walked over to the Victoria & Albert Museum. https://www.vam.ac.uk/south-kensington
Queen Victoria and Queen Ann

Prince Albert Memorial in Kensington gardens. https://www.royalparks.org.uk/visit/parks/kensington-gardens/monuments#albert-memorial 



Royal Albert Hall, across the street from the Albert Monument

Victoria and Albert Museum


After the museum we walked back to where the Kensington gardens end and Hyde Park begins.
Markers indicating the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Walk

Just inside the park, we came upon the Princess Diana memorial fountain which is a large ring of running water. We stopped here and took off our shoes to soak our burning and sore feet in the cool running water. It was a wonderful refreshing break.
Princess Diana Memorial Fountain


Before finishing walking the length of Hyde Park, we stopped for a beer and snack.
  
Hyde Park


Just beyond Hyde Park, we arrived at Buckingham Palace and entered the area next to the Canada gate. https://www.royalparks.org.uk/visit/parks/green-park/monuments#canada-memorial
Canada Memorial near Canada Gate and Buckingham Palace

Buckingham Palace





Queen Victoria Memorial right next to Buckingham Palace

The Canada gate taken from the Queen Victoria Memorial

We spent some time just hanging out in front of the palace before taking the underground back to our B&B.  I learned that the doors to the subway close very fast and really hard as I got caught in the doors at one point. My right arm was sore for a while. For supper, we went back to the Rose Pub next to the River Thames. It has a great vibe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travelling Home

      I didn’t sleep very well last night. I was having some anxiety about getting to the airport.     I realized that there was no way that...