Sunday, June 8, 2025

2025 European Trip

Our journey to Europe began June 8th with a short, late afternoon flight to Calgary. We shared the front row of the plane with Lilly and Larry, a middle aged retired couple from Wabamum, Alberta.  They are a friendly happy couple who made their fortune in the Bison industry.  Specifically in the design and sale of specially designed equipment to handle buffalo.  We learned that he knows Don Katerenych and his brother through their work in that industry.  Lilly and Larry have 4 kids and many grandchildren and great grand as well.   The couple were flying to Iceland and then taking a cruise to Europe for a month.  They may be in Bergen, Norway around the time that we are there. We promised to be on the lookout for each other.  Wouldn’t that be something ?  As a side note, we notice that the leader of the provincial NDP, Naheed Nenshi was on our flight. I guess he was returning to Calgary after spending last night at the outdoor festivities for the Edmonton Oilers playoff game. 


Ann and I experienced a “first” for us in Calgary as we waited for our flight to London.  We had time to spare and vouchers for the airport ( Airus)lounge and so we spent a couple of hours there, enjoying the free food and drinks.  It’s a wonderful, calm retreat from the loud and expensive typical airport experience. 


Our flight to London was uneventful. However, after landing, we were required to move from Terminal 4 to 2. The regular free train that normally takes you there wasn’t working and so we had to figure out how to take the metro ( the tube or the Underground)to terminal 2.  We figured it out and learned that we could just use the tap feature on our phones to pay for the tube, with Apple Pay , right at the turnstiles.  Very cool!   We had a late lunch at a restaurant in the airport.  I am currently writing this in the air, on our Scandinavian Airlines flight to Oslo. 

Craig meets us at the central station in Oslo and leads us to his place.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Travelling Home

      I didn’t sleep very well last night. I was having some anxiety about getting to the airport.     I realized that there was no way that...